To read about the exhibit items and about General Burleson, download the brochure.
A painting borrowed from the Charles S. Cock House among other items will be on display at the San Marcos Public Library for the month of March. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas will be having a very informative meeting at the Library on Tuesday March 5th at 2:00 in the afternoon.
To read about the exhibit items and about General Burleson, download the brochure.
History of the Slave Cabin
This slave cabin was built on the Thompson Islands Plantation in San Marcos, Hays County, Texas in 1850. It was owned by William Thompson. The Thompson family came to Hays County after serious epidemics in Mississippi or Louisiana. He had been a planter. He had also learned about milling at the Thompson Plantation in Georgia. He had four teenage children. He was about forty years old.
The original plantation business was a saw mill. Mr. Thompson did the layout of the plantation which included the slave cabin and mill. The latter was 1800 yards long, 30 feet wide, funneling to 20 feet wide. The original depth was unknown. It was the most powerful with no concrete. The maintenance was terrific.
A young man called “A Man” lived in the slave cabin during the winters of the 1850’s. He was freed later. Many lived in the cabin. There were descendants of slaves on the plantation. All provided muscle and sweat in building the Thompson Plantation.
Two bridges crossed three islands. They were logs with heavy timber without metal, loosely laid. When horses and wagons crossed, the logs made a clackity-clackity sound. This noise was the doorbell. It signaled the arrival of customers for the mill workers. Business was good. A cotton gin was added later. Wheat was also grown and ground. Cornbread was a staple. This was before the railroads. The Bradys ran the wheat mill; which was called a grist mill.
All of the wood in the slave cabin came from “stumping the land” on the plantation. A rip or buzz saw with a sleigh was used to hand cut the trees. Mules dragged the trees with chains. They would be squared off depending on the tree size. Many were elm.
Mr. and Mrs. Steven Brady moved into the cabin in 1860. They had twelve children. All worked on the plantation. Several of the sons names were Freeman, Walt and Tom. Tom was the youngest . Walt was the oldest and worked the longest on the plantation. He and his wife began living in the cabin in 1889.
During the milling off season, Walt took care of the farm animals and worked in the house. He also drove the Thompson family to the Presbyterian Church in a hack every Sunday. This was a highlight for everyone.
Mrs. Brady was the cook for the family. The Bradys had a son. His name was Alonzo. He was the same age as the third Thompson son, Frank. They spent a lot of time together. Alonzo moved to Arizona at an early age to go to school. The state of Arizona advertised for people to live there. Land was promised.
Mr. Thompson (William) died in 1913. Mrs. Thompson sold the cotton gin and saw mill. The Bradys moved to Arizona to live with Alonzo.
In 1926 the cabin was moved to Avoca Plantation. It was one of the four plantations acquired by William Alexander Thompson. He was a son of the original owner of the slave cabin. The plantation business was a dairy farm and saw mill. The oldest and his favorite was William Hardeman. He received a Bachelor of Arts and L.L.B., Magna Cum Laude from the University of Texas in Austin. He inherited the plantation after he graduated.
In 1927 the cabin was leased to the Eastwoods after William Hardeman Thompson become a County Judge. They had a boy, Corden, and a girl. Mrs. Eastwood was expecting a third child.
The cabin was refurbished. A room was added across the back. It was make a comfortable little country home for the family.
Mr. Eastwood was a good dairy farmer. His business was successful. They were happy. This changed in 1929. The cabin was low. There was a bad flood. Water was 1 ½ feet deep in the cabin. Almost everything was lost. The flood ended the cattle operation. The Eastwoods moved to town to live with relatives in a big house on what’s now Hunter Road.
The cabin was ordered placed on 18 inch stumps by Mrs. Thompson (William Hardeman). She wanted to prevent flooding in the future. However, it flooded three times. 1929 and 1956 were two of those times.
Another black couple, newly-wedded Mr. and Mrs. Bain rented the cabin for almost eighteen years as late as 1970. They weren’t employed by the Thompson family. However, they “checked” on Mrs. Thompson everyday. Mrs. Bain (Leona) would bake for the family on special occasions and holidays. They especially liked her blue ribbon pecan pie.
The Bains were the last family to live in the cabin.
Today the original home of the slave cabin, Thompson Islands Plantation, is the site for an apartment complex. There is also a beautiful residence in the elmgrove across the street from a state park, Stokes Park at Thompson Islands. The plantation name was included at the request of the Thompson family.
In 1977, Mr. Terry Barnett became the owner of the slave cabin. It was town down and moved for reconstruction.
Brick Sale Deadline quickly approaching!
One of the most scenic, historic and popular parks in San Marcos, Juan Veramendi Plaza is known for its iconic gazebo, the Charles S. Cock House Museum, the Merriman Cabin, the Dr. Gwen K. Smith Fountain, the memorial grove and the beautiful pathway to the Riverwalk.
Those who have enjoyed the park through the years can now claim and personalize their own small piece of the Fountain Plaza area by purchasing an engraved brick. Proceeds will be used to fund improvements to Veramendi Plaza Park, including repairs to the newly restored gazebo.
Click Here For The Order Form.
Burleson Homestead Project, sponsored by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, continues. Event to be held on March 5th
The Moon-McGehee Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas would like to demonstrate public support for the historical significance of the Gen. Edward Burleson homestead, currently owned by Texas State University and located on the former site of Aquarena Springs Resort. Heritage Association members can join in this effort by entering comments and expressions of support on the "You Can Help" page of their website. The form is easy to complete--just enter your name, email and comments and hit Submit! If you have any questions, contact Phyllis Klein at email@example.com. Also, mark your calendars for March 5th when the DRT will be hosting a public program on the Home Site at the San Marcos Public Library.
In This Issue
COTTAGE KITCHEN FRIDAY LUNCHEONS RETURN
BRICK SALE PROJECT
GAZEBO RIBBON CUTTING
Get Your Brick Now
One of the most scenic, historic and popular parks in San Marcos, Juan Veramendi Plaza is known for its iconic gazebo, the Charles S. Cock House Museum, the Merriman Cabin, the Dr. Gwen K. Smith Fountain, and the tree-lined pathway to the Riverwalk.
Those who have enjoyed the park through the years can now claim and personalize their own small piece of the Fountain Plaza area by purchasing an engraved brick. Proceeds will be used to fund improvements to Veramendi Plaza Park, including repairs to the iconic gazebo.
Click Here For The Order Form.
Burleson Homestead Project - Local DRT Chapter Needs Your Help!
The Moon-McGehee Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas would like to demonstrate public support for the historical significance of the Gen. Edward Burleson homestead, currently owned by Texas State University and located on the former site of Aquarena Springs Resort. The DRT wants to help ensure that all assets on the hillside property are preserved for future students of Texas history. Members of the Heritage Association can join in this effort by entering comments and expressions of support on the "You Can Help" page of their website. The form is easy to complete--just enter your name, email and comments and hit Submit! If you have any questions, contact Phyllis Klein at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, January 20th
Special program will begin at 3:30pm to open a new rotating exhibit entitled “In the Winners’ Circle: Celebrating Four Notable Athletes.”
Calaboose African American Museum (200 W. MLK., San Marcos, TX)
Click here to learn more about the museum
Careers featured during the exhibit will be Negro Leagues pitcher, Dave Brown, Olympics gold medalists Lucious Jackson and Charles Austin, along with former martial arts competitor and professional boxer, Brenda Bell.
Joining forces with the Friends of the San Marcos Cemetery to conduct a “Cemetery Walk” at the San Marcos City Cemetery on October 27 ensured success!
Using the theme “If the Dead Could Talk. . .” the Cemetery Walk was an educational, entertaining, and inspirational stroll through the historic city cemetery. .
Co-chairing the joint venture were new Heritage members Amanda and Josh Erwin. An interest in local history and in community service spurred them to volunteer to take the lead in organizing the first cemetery walk.
Veterans honored were: Thomas P. Yoakum, Emmie Craddock, PhD, Joe Valdez Vasquez Jr., Vicente Ramirez Gonzalez, Joseph “Jake” Claberon Sullivan, *Colin Derek Bishop, *Michael Anthony Gray Wood, **Charles McElroy, Maurice T. Suttles, Arthur Edward Gary, Jack Arnold, Dr. Peter Cavanaugh Woods, Louis Lawshe, and Ann Pearce Munson Caldwell (2 husbands were veterans)
Director Jack Moore, San Marcos High School Theatre Department:
Christopher Ryan Ashley, Ian Bazan, Bonnie Brown, Marisa Covarrubias, Amber DeLeon, Melanie Gonzales, Mitchell McLeod, Hannah Petersen, Dana Puddy, Ryan Rodriquez, Charles Sparks, Traci Tucker, Evan Valenta, and Marshall Valenta
Amanda and Josh Erwin, co-chairs, Pat Murdock, Shelley Henry, Shannon Fitzpatrick, Nancy Scott, Linda Coker, Jane Hughson, and Ollie Hargis-Giles.
Will Erwin, Terry Blackwell, Jean Baggett, Victoria Hinojosa, Mason Murphy
Videographer: Connor Moffitt
San Marcos Academy Student Ambassadors, San Marcos Public Library, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion Post 144, Affordable Golf Carts, Sur-Powr Battery
Dan West, San Marcos Academy, Jude Prather, Commemorative Air Force Museum
Heritage Association of San Marcos participated in the 2012 City of San Marcos Veteran's Day Parade.
Thanks to Ross King and Jane Latham for the loan of their 1930 Model A vehicle for our float.
Terry Blackwell drove, Jane Hughson, Shelley Henry and Samantha Armbruster waved flags, and Chance Fraser and Dan Ingram carried the banner.
Committee Chair Cathy Dillon presented the awards at the recent Annual Membership Meeting and Awards Dinner.
Committee members Jean Baggett, Shelley Henry, Jane Hughson, Nancy Scott, Rodney vanOudekerke, and Greg Wurzbach reviewed a number of locations over 75 years old which have had major improvements in the last three years.
Michael and Elly Dietz
919 Belvin Street
This house is a “traditional American foursquare” which was built in 1904. You’ll probably recognize it as the one with the pointiest roof on Belvin St! Mike and Elly Dietz have been working on it for 20 years and they say the “walls are talking” as they move from room to room in their renovations. Elly promises that 2013 is their target completion date.
Price Seniors Center
222 West San Antonio Street
The Price Center is located in the old First Christian Church building, first constructed in 1893 and then enlarged through the years. It was donated by the church and philanthropist H.Y. Price to the City of San Marcos to be used as a senior citizen’s center. Ron and Marie have personally and lovingly poured their lives into transforming this old church into a civic showplace.
Sergi and Associates Law Office
329 South Guadalupe Street
This unique building has a fascinating history. It has been a gas station, fruit stand, office supply store, paint store, and somewhere way back when…..a speakeasy! Since becoming David’s law office several years ago, it has also been the scene of not one but two roof collapses so this is a remodeling project that just keeps on happening—over and over again
James and Deb Robertson
1202 W. Hopkins Street
This great old house is a good example of Craftsman architecture. The Robertsons originally purchased and began remodeling the house for Deb’s mother, but in the course of the project they fell in love with it and decided to live in it themselves. James owns Native Furniture Works in Martindale, so he hand-built much of the interior woodwork.
This annual event was held on Thursday, October 25, on the San Marcos Academy campus. Elections were held for officers and board members who will take office on January 1, 2013. Congratulations to the new board!
One of our partners in local preservation work, the Hays County Historical Commission and Richard Kidd provided the evening's program, "Documenting History," a presentation of excerpts from the commission's documentary film programs.
Members of the Year
Phyllis Klein, Chair of the 2012 Awards Committee, presented the awards selected by committee members Frances Breihan and Bettye Nagy. Louise Ernst, Long and faithful member of the Heritage Association and the Guild. Always ready to cook, help serve, decorate for Christmas, or help with the annual cleaning . For 7 years she has been a committee of one, checking and replenishing supplies for the Cottage Kitchen.
Lisa Spencer. After serving two years on the Scheib Center Board of Directors, Lisa saw the need for expansion of the Mental Health Building. She submitted the winning grant application to the Mueller Company, competing against 150+ charities. The Scheib Center’s new building will be featured on the Texas Country Reporter TV program on Thanksgiving weekend