The Cottage Kitchen, located in the historic Charles S. Cock House, will be closed until further notice due to coronavirus precautions.
About the Cock House and the Cottage Kitchen
Charles S. Cock, a pioneer and former mayor of San Marcos, built the home now located at 400 East Hopkins in 1867 of pine, elm, cedar and native limestone. One hundred years later, it received a Texas Historical Marker medallion and in 1973 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. That same year, the San Marcos Bicentennial Commission initiated the restoration of the home, completing the project in 1976.
The Heritage Association (created to continue the work of the Bicentennial Commission) opened the house for tours, receptions and luncheons throughout 1976, and the Heritage Guild, a committee of the Association, began offering luncheons on Fridays. The tradition of the “Cottage Kitchen” continues to this day in what is now the oldest residential building in San Marcos.
The Charles S. Cock House Museum features period furniture and collectibles, some from as early as the late 18th century. Several Cock family pieces, including the family Bible and photos of Charles Cock and of his twin daughters and their husbands on their wedding day, are displayed in the home along with other artwork and photos of local historic interest.